RELIGIOUS EXEMPTIONS SERIES: PART 5
See the written instructions below the video.
RELIGIOUS EXEMPTIONS SERIES: PART 5 – THE BIBLICAL CASE AGAINST ABORTION-DERIVED VACCINES
(Written by Harry Mihet at https://lc.org/)
A small number of states, like Illinois, have laws that protect vaccine objections based on conscience alone. In most other places, a vaccine objection MUST be grounded in SINCERE religious belief to be protected by law. (see PART 2).
Before we look at the Biblical case against abortion-derived vaccines, I’ll make the following FOUR observations:
- This post presents a Christian view because it is one I am familiar with. However, you are NOT required to be a Christian to be eligible for a religious exemption. Many religions have strong pro-life doctrines. And, remember from PART 2, you’re not even required to show that YOUR beliefs are part of a “major” or “established” religion. They just need to be YOUR religious beliefs, and they need to be SINCERE (not made up).
- You are not required to make each of the following points in your personal statement. You don’t HAVE to quote Bible verses (although it doesn’t hurt to quote a couple). Fortunately, you CANNOT be legally required to submit a doctoral dissertation on religious doctrine. You just need to explain, simply and shortly, what you believe and why your God-given conscience prohibits you from taking an abortion-derived vaccine.
- There may be OTHER religious objections to vaccines, besides the fact that they have been DEVELOPED or tested using fetal cell lines from aborted human beings. You can assert other objections too BUT:
- If your other reasons are premised on FACTUAL claims about the vaccines, you’d better be sure that those claims are solid, INDISPUTABLE and verifiable from neutral (preferable government) documents, in the same way as the fetal cell line factual claim (see PART 4). Otherwise, your employer or school will DENY your exemption and say you are “misinformed.”
- If you do sincerely hold the fetal cell line objection as a matter of religious conviction, I suggest you list that first, because, in my opinion, it is the strongest.
- Finally, this post (and this entire series) is NOT intended to guilt, criticize, or fault in any way Christians and people of faith whose conscience is clear about taking vaccines. There is no need for division or even debate. There is room for disagreement, but I do not find debate on this issue productive here and would prefer it to take place elsewhere. This post (and series) is intended ONLY to help those with a SINCERE religious objection to abortion-derived vaccines to articulate their convictions to their employers or schools.
******* WITH THAT SAID, the Biblical case against abortion-derived vaccines is simple and straightforward. Here are SIX key doctrines. (Remember, you do NOT have to discuss all of these in detail).
- God, the Creator of life, created humans in his own image, and human life is sacred to him. Genesis 1:26-27
- In his inspired and inerrant Word, the Bible, God makes it absolutely clear that, in his eyes, human life begins at the moment of conception. Psalm 139:13-14, Psalm 139:16, Isaiah 44:2, Isaiah 44:24, Jeremiah 1:5.
- God has prohibited murder (the killing of an innocent human being), and murder is a heinous sin. Exodus 20:13, Genesis 9:6, Deuteronomy 27:25.
- God gives each believer the Holy Spirit to personally guide him or her in all aspects of life. The Holy Spirit teaches the believer all things, guides the believer into all truth, and reproves the believer of sin and righteousness. A believer who disobeys the teaching and leading of the Holy Spirit in his or her own life commits sin against God. John 13, John 16:7-8, John 14:26.
- The human body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and the believer must not defile it. 1 Corinthians 6:15-20.
- A believer who prays earnestly to God, seeks the instruction of the Holy Spirit, and receives in his or her conscience the instruction that he or she must not defile their body with ANY product that has ANY connection to the grievous sin of abortion has a SINCERE religious objection to abortion-derived vaccines. For such a believer, accepting such a vaccine would be disobedient to the Holy Spirit, and a sin against God.